Joe Strummer, a bender in Madrid and a lost Dodge !




  Each of these lessons are based on a topic such as the METAVERSE, NFTS or more general like the Ted talk on BLUE ZONES or tips for better PRESENTATIONS. 

This is a listening and reading exercise on the punk musician Joe Strummer and his relationship with Granada and Spain.  

Objective – Relaying stories from one person to another --- REPORTED SPEECH or indirect speech and expanding vocabulary related to music. 

Class duration – Two - hour session \ Number of students – 1 – 3 maximum

The majority of corrections are given in real time during the online class with notes taken and written in the CHAT option in Microsoft teams, google MEET or skype.-


LISTENING -- The listening is a exercise from BBC English where they discuss song writing and relationship between Mick Jagger and Keith Richards and discuss common language related to music and song writing, 

                                       BBC Learning English - 6 Minute English / Songwriting




VOCAB - 


CATCHY – \adj\ - describes how a phrase or tune is easily RECALLED. It often taken into account

 when creating a slogan for a BRAND or when writing POP songs. These are referred to as 'catchy' or

 earworms.


He went on a BENDER --when you drink too much and take too much of a lot of stuff that BENDS your mind.



READING AND VIDEO - 


The Clash who had succeeded where many punk bands had failed by having success on both sides of

 the Atlantic sadly BROKE UP in 1986 when Joe strummer threw Mick Jones out of the band.


The singer who always had a strong passion for Spain and particularly Andalucía fled to the country at

 a time of crises in his life. After reading a book on the Spanish war and I guess with the song in mind I

 made my won version of 'Spanish Bombs ' the famous hit from the British band.




Placeta Joe Strummer inaugurated in Granada | Spain | The Guardian



I was talking to a friend of mine who told everybody in Granada a has a story about Joe Strummer and 

their time with him. Stories that relayed from one person to another which will become part of the 

LEGENDS of Granada. 



Direct -- " I went drinking with Chet Baker and Joe Strummer in the 80's in Granada"

He told me that he HAD GONE drinking with Chet Baker and Joe strummer in the 80's . 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


REPORTED SPEECH - 


When we PASS ON a story from ourselves to someone else we us reported speech with verbs such 

tell, said  and ask. 


Direct speech becomes reported -- 


Tense

Direct Speech

Reported Speech

present simple

I like ice cream

She said (that) she liked ice cream.

present continuous

I am living in London

She said (that) she was living in London.

past simple

I bought a car

She said (that) she had bought a car OR She said (that) she bought a car.

past continuous

I was walking along the street

She said (that) she had been walking along the street.

present perfect

I haven't seen Julie

She said (that) she hadn't seen Julie.

past perfect*

I had taken English lessons before

She said (that) she had taken English lessons before.

will

I'll see you later

She said (that) she would see me later.

would*

I would help, but...

She said (that) she would help but...

can

I can speak perfect English

She said (that) she could speak perfect English.

could*

I could swim when I was four

She said (that) she could swim when she was four.

shall

I shall come later

She said (that) she would come later.

should*

I should call my mother

She said (that) she should call her mother

might*

I might be late

She said (that) she might be late

must

I must study at the weekend

She said (that) she must study at the weekend OR She said she had to study at the weekend

As you can see most of the main verbs go back a tense in reported speech-- 

Practice below with the sentences -- 

1. “What’s for dinner tonight?”, he asked.

  1. “Where shall we go on holiday this year?”, I was wondering.

  2. “Have you done your homework?”, Asked the teacher.

  3. “What’s the capital of Uruguay?” Steve wanted to know.

  4. “What’s the tallest building in the world?” Asked Bill.

  5. “Where’re the next Olympic Games going to be held?” Wondered Jake.

  6. “Can you ride a bike?” Asked John.

  7. “Where do you think you’re going?” Asked the policeman.

  8. “Where were you when Kennedy was shot?” Bill asked.

  9. “What have you learnt since I last saw you?” He wanted to know



Choose mode - Kahoot!





Comments