I wanted to use it with the sea because of these recurrent dreams I was having at the time.I used poured cement as a base because I wanted to have depth but I didn't want to creat this through an illusion in technique. I wanted the accident in the process, the cracks ,the chips and the aggregate creating a texture.I cleaned the dust ater the cement had dried properly and sanded it smooth. It is a wonderful texture to work on and I worked over this surface many times.

With this piece I felt I was trying to present a narrative to dogmatically in a self obsessesd way. Like when somebody comes to discuss with you a situation but they have completely even many years before made their mind up on the subject probably not even realising it purely a ceature of habit.

Too much time has passed now I feel and these emotions that I once wanted to convey have changed and I no longer feel that way and now to try and convey them is a pretence.The first drawing here is curious but flat maybe interesting to discuss but not a physical entity in itself.That's what I want in my work that they are physical entities in themselves, that the combintation of charcoal,cement,matches, plaster or whatever command their own right to be real.Since I felt the narrative had faded I concentrated on the texture the charcoal against the cement, the choppy waves and a sense that each turn in the wave was connected to the next.

Comments