Tree process - 3




5. So this part takes a while! I did most of the matches on this tree between Jan 2010 and August 2010 but the majority during the really cold winter of 2010. My studio is in an old printing factory with high ceilings and no heating, I evolved many ways of keeping warm while staying in the same spot.Everything was made more difficult because of the cold and damp.I found that the process of applying the matches gave me a good working discipline and focus. While working on the tree I also worked on numerous other sculptures , I found that the large sculpture was a focal point to a body of work that I then exhibited in September 2010.

6. Once I had completed applying the matches and gaps between where filled with a ready mix filler. At this point because of the size of the structure I had to go round the sculpture a number of times with the filler each time sanding and cleaning the form.Also I watered down pva and 'washed' it on the tree a number of times, this strenghtens the form each time.The sculpture is sanded then using an orbital sander and a very fine paper (240,320).

Comments