Changes - sculpture process 2





Most of the interior of the car and the backround were completed by carving into the casting plaster.Make sure to wear surgical gloves when carving and resting your hands against the plaster for long periods. Initially I didn't and my hands became so dry that the skin on my hand and fingers split in several places. I had to stop working on the sculpture and give my hands time time to heal(very painful!).

I tried to carve the portraits in the back of the car in plaster but it proved too difficult.I cut out the area where the figures sat and began working in a soft modeling wax.The building also at the back of the car was completed in balsa wood and added to the plaster cast.Finally when I felt satisfied with the casts of plaster a secound silicone and fibreglass resing mould was taken of each side.

Again the moulds were taken apart and the plaster, wax and balsa wood removed. The wooden moulds were put back together, the silicone and fibreglass moulds were placed in the base and plaster poured ontop.Once the plaster had set the moulds were released.

Comments