Working with clear resin and embedding resin and pigment.

I took the mould from this resing piece from an old television that I found in the basement of Tabacalera in Madrid. I learnt a very valuable lesson in the process... never try to cut the screen of an old television off with an angle grinder. I don't know exactly what happened and thankfully I was wearing glasses and boots at the time. 

The first attempt to cut the screen of a TV resulted in a small explosion and my eggs in my mouth so to speak. 


I will get back to the mould later but first here's a piece I cast in resin with strips of resin and colour pigment inside. Visually I really like the soft effect of the colours in side the resin block and I wanted to make a piece with the TV mould. It reminded me somewhat of transmission lines on the old televisions and I also imagined that this form of television screen will no be seen again since it no longer has a purpose other than nostalgia. 


Firtsly to get the strips of coloured resin I had made silicone moulds using balsa wood of varying widths and depths which would give each strip a deeper or lighter colour. I didn't to be too specific in the preparation either so I made a lot of strips so I could pick and choose at the moment I was casting the resin.



Comments