Work in progress for shows in Germany in July 2013

Just to get started I have posted a few pieces that I am working on for the shows during the summer. First here is a picture of my space in Latabacalera - Nave trapecio as it is now. As you can see this a workshop space and not private studio and for his reason it´s good for certain pieces that involve more fabrication where the idea has already been mapped to a certain degree. The drawings I work at from  my home and slowly I am developing a space in the basement of La tabacalera for storage and documentation of work.


The space at La tabacalera is free and for this I have to look after the workshop once a week and help clean and maintain the space.I found it very difficult here for the last few years because of my lack of Spanish and the fact that my work and materials were scattered between Dublin and Madrid and still are to a degree but most of it is here now. Also I had been used to working alone in privacy and now it´s all open and slowly I have had to change the way in which I work.
  

                                    

I want to make a series of the spitfire plane pieces for the show in Germany maybe five or six. The reason for making this series is so layered and really the more I think of it goes right back to being a kid watching black and white WW2 movies and drawing these planes incessantly. The more I think of this the more I  realize how much it has to do with my childhood. I had actually forgotten drawing these planes as a kid and I thought it had more to do with watching movies with my Dad after my had passed away and the more I realize this the I am at ease to play with these ´transitional objects`. A friend recently contacted through facebook somebody I havn´t seen in years and who used sit beside me when I was 10-12 years and he reminded me about the drawings and that got me thinking of other things that happened then. The trips to Belfast and Derry in 80 - 83 and passing the De lorean factory in Newry and how out of place and futuristic amindst the backdrop of Ireland in the eighties and the letters on rizlas and Maggie Thatcher during the hunger strikes.

I remember as a kid a huge poster of  Che Ghevara on our bedroom wall, it was an original print so the ink was deep and heavy and made it seem all the bigger. I used to sit in front of it and wonder who it was. The picture on the right I drew on rizla paper presenting Maggie as an iconic revolutionary figure playing with the memories and mapping them.





The top left piece is practically finished, I have worked this piece I don´t know how many times but finally now I feel happy with it. I stripped off all the paint and made it a lot more pop which I think the original spitfires actually had a look of , the blue underneath is the same color as the underneath of the originals. Before the piece was heavy and loaded emotionally.

The pieces on the right are the original pieces that I took out to put the plane ones in instead but I really like them on their own with the corrugated cardboard behind,I don´t know how to show them really??

The piece below is sandstone and I am carving lillies onto them after being in Barcelona last year and seeing some beautiful stone carvings on the streets. The center and outer pieces are cast resin with the back painted in a thick black gloss which now I feel is too weighted against the sand stone so I might sand it all off and polish it clear.

Comments