Adam - completing the tree - April 2012

I was going to call the tree Adam since the initial idea came from a conversation I had many years ago woith my mother about Adam and Eve.This tree has taken three years to complete and now I have to get it to spain!! It is made from styrofoam , plaster matches, shellac and paint.The process of most te making can be found in October archive 2011.
I wasn´t happy with the finish before, the shellac was too heavy and the form wasn´t immediate or loose enough.So I sanded all the varnish back off and while I was in madrid in February I made different ends for the branch stomps.I wanted a more toyish look and pop so I used airfix blue paint in gloss and very unnatural colour to apply to a tree structure. It reminds me of the old colonial india.
After sanding the shellac I watered down slightly some paint and painted the entire stucture. Before I had done this I set the ends of three branches with the blocks I had put together in spain.After applying the paint I sanded most of it off so that the texture of the matches could be seen beneath.I feel the white really show the form of the tree and lightens an otherwise heavy looking structure.
I like the fact that it is such a monumental piece but then is finished in a moest powered white a sky blue airfix enamel, this is goin to look great in the show in Spain in October.

Comments