Staring at the sea - 2007 - process



I started this piece in 2005 after subletting a space in Broadstone I got a free work space on the old microsoft offices in Sandyford.I worked out of what used to be the reception area, which was spacious and well insulated which was a major bonus since studios are usually freezing.

I had this space for four months and pretty much got straight into making this sculpture. I had worked on the idea on a smaller scale and I had a good feeling about it.This piece to me was about giving a sense of an natural form of motion to a static sculture.I wanted to work from the outside in and let the materials help to form the structure and not carve into wood to give an impression. This was the first large piece I completed in this way so alot of it was experimentation.I was a mad idea but usually they are the best when it works.I knew that the matches running down the surface would add to the sense of animation.The piece was exhibited at the annual RHA exhibition in 2007 and sold to a private collection.

A large wooden reinforced frame was made initially for the structure to be built upon and after which fencing or chicken wire was rolled out in stripes.Before anything had started on making this sculpture I had spent time at the coast drawing and photographing the sea and the waters edge.I had a fair idea of the form I was looking for but I was not definite and i didn't want to be. I literally pulled and bent the wire into a desired shape and then fixed it down to the wooden frame.

After this I covered the surface in stripes of plaster and fabric gauze again and again and sanded the surface. Then I began to apply matches and the rest you know....

Comments