New pieces




While I was back preparing the work for transportation I also worked on several new pieces and ideas in the sketchbook.When I am back in the studio in Dublin I take advantage of the fact that I am back in a proper workshop to cast resin, sand and generally be noisy. Hopefully as time goes on I will work more in this manner in the www.latabacalera.net space in Madrid when I have nore tools and material there.

While working on the trophies I used the remainder of each clear resin layer to try out some new pigments.Once I had poured the clear resin into the mould for the trophie instead of wasting the left over I would mix some pigment in the clear resin and pour it onto a silicone mould of a spitfire plane. I really liked the blue pigments which I found had a beautiful gradient where the cast was deeper.I only used a tiny amount of pigment in alot of these. I wanted to used the pigment in the same manner you shade with a pencil remembering that one of the strongest impressions with using carbon or graphite it the ephemeral sense of the material. The delicacy of shading although a light and what seems as a simple act can be most powerful in it's impression.

I wanted to convay a hazy effect that you find in the style of 'vignetting' used in the british movies of the 40's those grainy dogfights in the clouds battle of britian movies. I also remember how in movies of that era they would use these cloudscapes in a grainy sunburst in films of a more religious or spiritual theme and often also the religious and WW2 would be combined almost as a crusade.

After I had made the cast and I had taken it out of the mould I was happy with it as it is with parts of the shellac stuck to the back from the mould and the black wax still stuck to the edges. I am going to hang it as it is for the show in December.

Comments