Le cool - 100th edition - anniversary RHA - 28/10/2011




I will give you a quick rundown on the other little jobs I did in dublin separate to my own work.

Lecool - Dublin www.dublin.lecool.com which is an online cultural event magazine has franchises all over Euruope and has been a major success in each city where it has been established and I think it is fair to say it has enriched the lives of the citizans and improved the cultural communities in each of these cities.

I the past I have designed two covers for Le cool - Dublin and I was delighted when they asked me could I reassemble the one shown here for the 100th edition party at the Royal Hibernian Academy.In return I wanted to make a piece again using the signage of LECOOL as an additional piece for the party. A kind of 'Jazzy' piece so I thought 1940's Hollywood lights thing. Last year for my solo show in Dublin an electrician friend of mine put together potoon lighting so I had seen how it goes and really how straight forward it was.

So I drew out the letters on 12mm Mdf and cut out the words and then mounted all these to some off cuts of wooden lenghts I had at studio and painted it white.I bought six meters of lighting cable 46 low energy saving bulbs and 46 connectors and a plug.I simply drew out on the wood where the bulbs would go and began putting the connectors on the lighting cable.Each connector has two metal 'teeth' that pinch through the cable as you screw the two parts of the connector together sandwiching the cable in the middle. The connectors wilth the cable in the middle are then screwed directly to the wood and I put a junction box at the other end of the cable so that there would not be a live wire exposed, the other end has the plug.

Using the low energy saving light bulbs meant that everything could be fed of one plug with no risk of blowing the fuse and obviously cheaper to run.The 46 lights bulbs use less energy than a two bar electric heater!All the stuff for both the light display and the design installation at already in storage at the RHA but unfortunatly due to financial constraint I cannot make it back to assemble the work which is a bummer;( But the show goes on , la la la hoollywoood la la la la hooolywood.

Comments