2nd edition 1940




This is a 2nd edition of a piece I had made for the show last september. I had intended to make a larger scale piece similar to this but I think not.Being larger and with the black backround it would just look to heavy and over worked.

I think I will make a larger one using the blue planes, I really like the feathered effect in this piece and I know it will work well larger.

The piece is built up in a series of layers of resin and covered each time while curing.Casting the wax planes has to be completed in one layer with that layer totally encasing the the wax planes. The reason for this is that the reaction of the resin with the catalyst is an endothermic one and the heat generated initially melts the plane cast. If it is encased it melts but is contained and cools eventually but still holds a more transparent nature.After all the layers have been poured the mould is leaft to dry for a number of weeks preferably and then sanded 120, 240, 310with a orbital sander and again numerous times with 600 emery cloth wet/dry. Basically the more you sand the better the finish but all depends on what you are trying to achieve.

The surface is then polished using 'buffing brushes' attached to an electrical drill. Do not press heavily on the surface or the friction will heat and the resin surface.

Comments