De lorean dreams






This piece of work arose from a myriad of ideas and experiences.During the late seventies and early eighties my older brother was in prison in the north of Ireland charged with IRA membership and other charges all of which where dropped in 1983 when the supergrass trails collapsed, but that's another story.

I remember passing the De Lorean factory as we travelled to Belfast on the train and my father pointing out the factory and all the silver brand new De loreans on the factory grounds.So futuristic amongst the post communist backdrop of Ireland in the eighties.I remember on the news shortly after John De lorean and the cocain bust but at the time I was only ten so I really didn't know what was going on but knew it was bad.De Lorean had mad his money from the 'muscle cars' of the seventies.

I thought of his ambitions and my brothers ideals of republicianism.On the visits to prison my brother would pass a tiny letter to my mother or father. The leter would be written on rizla papers all stuck together to make a page and always remember the writing would be tiny.The prisoners would do this because all letters leaving the prison would be sensored.I wanted to make a piece of work combining these two experiences of passing the factory on the way to the prison.These dreams have both passed now ,the dream of the car of the future and the dream of a thirty two state republic, both dreams of a time in the eighties.

Comments