In Madrid when a retail unit is not occupied the walls are filled with a cheap redbrick which is taken down and replaced with glass only after the unite has been rented. So I figured it would be ok to drill and mount onto such a wall.I was thinking along the lines of the kitsch ducks on a wall but to use the iconic spitfire instead and I painted the planes in a airfix enamel.I wanted to present these objects on an outside wall just as a form with no context and no explanation.

To me the spitfire is a symbol of my parents generation who grew up during the war. My own Dad was taught to swim by a German prisoner of war in the Curragh army camp where my Grandfather was based as a captain in the free - state army.These where times of hard austerity but people seemed to have more dignity and elegance, but maybe that's just nostalgia.In larger pieces I have done the spitfire represents the spirits of my parents generation passing.

Comments