Free Culture



I have just started working on a large piece at La tabaclera. This piece will be made from carboard reinforced with polyester resin. Due to a series of factors the work that I will be making at the workshop invloves the use of recycled material such as paper and carboard or 'Carton' in Spanish.I have been experimenting with materials and different types of plaster and moulds at the centre for the last while also studying Spanish across the road in Escuala de oficial de idiomas.

It's odd working out of a place where alot of the time I don't realy know what's going although the meetings are getting a little easier.

One thing I have really become aware of here is that the climate can really change the way you see things. The warm dry climate opens up new avenues here most noticably in materials. Take carboard for example, you see it here all the time beside the recycling locations, or stacked up in places and it's fine clean and probably folded.There is a desire in me here also to draw in charcoals on the ourtside walls and pavements, the surfaces are so smooth and concrete has a great texture to work on in charcoals.

So this is what I have agreed to work on in return for the free space at www.Latabacalera.net. The theme at the centre is free culture, all events, exhibitions, gigs, plays, dance performances etc are free and in return the artists are allowed use the workspace free of charge and must also be involved in the upkeep of the centre.

I will begin by making a two and a half meter origami horse in cardboard. I have already made the model and I will follow the exact same principles for the larger piece. The horse will be made from eighteen separate sheets of cardboard which are cut and treated with polyester resin to strenghten the material.

Comments