The graphic novel

It seems obvious to me now that at some stage I would have gravitated towards graphic illustrators.As a kid I liked comics, not passionatly but in a pondering way. I liked warloard and 2000AD , the images where and still are so well drawn,both tight and balanced but stuffed with a chaotic energy.

But the stories never got me I have to say.Sci- fi stuff I just couldn't relate to it, it was all too fictional.I have always had a likness for people such as Ken Loach, Mike Leigh and English movies of the thirties and forties. Ealing studios stuff like 'it always rains on sunday' and 'saturday night,sunday morning' great british kitchen sink dramas.But I did like Doctor who. I think that the british had a way of making science fiction very surreal and kitche almost as if the very idea of darliks was a nuicence even to its creator. I loved the imagery of the darliks on streets of rows of red brick houses, the mundaness of an extra-terrestrial invasion.

Comments