Rain in the Suburbs - process


Before going on I want to document the last large sculptural piece which I feel is worth doing.There are other pieces but the processes are not as complex.

The origins of this sculpture began so years long ago that it is almost impossible to say how it came about other than I had shared a house two girls many moons ago and one of them had a travel iron that resembled the enterprize from startrek and an old spit iron, two equally interesting forms in the own right.This piece for me is really about design and wanting to use certain materials with one another.I remember as a kid people on the street would paint the top part of their waist high front wall in a gloss finish.It was like a small bit of gentrification trying to put a bit of the interior on the outside which for me seemed to contrast starkly with the weather.If it was a shared wall of two houses and the neighbours wall was not painted at all you would have this many layered gloss finish and the an abrupt halt and drop to the brutal bare cement.


I used the raindrops to 'tie' the piece together.Working in plaster, cement and resin meant I could make the entire sculpture on my own.I finally finished this piece (after working on it time and again)in September 2010.

Comments